Monday, September 15, 2008

My lil School Boys!

So today was the boy's first day in daycare. Yes, for those of you who do not know, we put the boys on a waiting list months ago to get into a daycare. Starting in January, I will be in clinicals 3 days a week as I finish my Family Nurse Practitioner degree...so I wanted to have the boys involved somewhere prior to me starting. I was very picky when deciding on a place to send my boys. I didn't want to send them somewhere where all they do is play. So after a ton of research and tours, I found the perfect place and really the only place I was willing to consider. I got the call 2 weeks ago telling me that boys had positions! Bam- then I was a wreck! Did I really want to put the boys in daycare?!? Even though my pediatrician had told me that it was a wise move to put them in at least part time to let them socialize with other children and learn not to be so dependent on each other, I was questioning my decision. I could start them right away but I decided I needed 2 weeks to spend with them prior to sending them! Finally, the day came. I had packed their stuff up last night which made it easy on us this morning. I just knew that the boys would cry after me when I dropped them off this morning and I was pretty sure that I would hold up pretty well. You see where I'm going with this- well, just the opposite happened. As we walked down the hallway, I became very nervous how I was going to act leaving them with someone else. We walked into their classroom and immediately, Nolan let go of my hand and walked away. He was playing with toys and chasing a little girl before I could even say bye! Well, Jonas (aka mommas boy) was slightly different. He cried as I let go of his hand. But almost instantly, another little girl came up pushing a babydoll stroller and he walked away. They waved bye and that was that! And immediately, I was in tears! Their teacher reassured me at least 20 times that they would be fine. Right before she "kicked me out"- I told her I would be back as soon as they were up from their nap! I got in my car and flooded myself in tears! Mom called to check on me as I was leaving- I know she knew I wasn't going to hold up well. (Thanks mom for always having such encouraging words of wisdom!)

At 2pm- I was back at the daycare anxious to see my boys. They were outside playing. Nolan saw me first...he smiled and waved! Can you believe that! Jonas came just as I expected- saying "mama" and holding his arms up in the air! Finally, one of my boys needed me! Well, that was short lived. A minute later he was back down and playing again! I finally managed to get them out of their classroom and out to the car when Nolan spotted "his girl" and walked back to the fence to hold her hand! Yes- my son was holding hand with a girl thru the fence! I could have fallen over!

I called Chris to tell him how their day had went (their teacher had given me a sheet on their day including nap time, diaper changes, activities, art, lunch, & snack) and he told me that he dropped by to see them at lunch! Such a good daddy! We laughed about it all and decided that we had made a great decision and we know the boys are going to do well!

A note on the daycare- the boys are in the 15 month old room and the other 8 kids are within a months birthday of each other. They follow a curriculum of learning shapes, letters, numbers, and words. They get a hot lunch everyday in a cafeteria! They are tested at the end of each year to see what age level they have accelerated to. They do art daily, have reading time, and outside play. They work with the boys using spoons and forks and cups. This month is all about apples. Saying apple, counting with apples, learning the color red...you get the idea. I couldn't be more pleased with the daycare. I have heard nothing but wonderful things about it and look forward to watching my boys learn!

Sorry I don't have any pictures from today...as you can tell, they were the last thing on my mind! Maybe tomorrow!


Photobucket

1 comments:

Lindsey said...

Aww Mandy I am so proud of you! You did the right thing girl.. no go and enjoy yourself while they are gone and know that you will always be there mommy AND they WILL always need you :)